Death toll in Oman, Yemen from Cyclone Mekunu rises to 30
Team Udayavani, Jun 4, 2018, 9:12 AM IST
Dubai: Authorities say Cyclone Mekunu killed at least 30 people when it barreled across Oman and Yemen last month. The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said in a statement that the majority of the fatalities happened on the Yemeni island of Socotra, where 20 were killed.
The federation said in a statement Thursday another four were killed in Yemen’s al-Mahrah governorate, which borders Oman.
In Oman, authorities had previously said at least six people were killed by the storm. Cyclone Mekunu made landfall on the Arabian Peninsula early May 26, causing flash floods and other damage. It earlier hit Socotra in the Arabian Sea.
The cyclone packed maximum sustained winds of 170-180 kilometers (105-111 miles) per hour with gusts of up to 200 kph (124 mph).
Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.
462 new COVID-19 cases, 9 deaths in Karnataka
BSF opens fire at drone along Indo-Pak border in Punjab’s Amritsar sector
Any person from outside Gandhi family should become next Cong chief, not Rahul Gandhi: Athawale
Related Articles More
Taliban behead woman athlete who was part of Afghan junior women’s national volleyball team
Queen accepts medical advice to rest for few days
Roadside bombs hit military bus in Syria capital, killing 13
Taliban promise cash, land, to families of suicide bombers
Volcano in southern Japan erupts with massive smoke column