ISIS-K attempted suicide attack in India last year: US counterterrorism official


Team Udayavani, Nov 6, 2019, 2:51 PM IST

Washington: The Khorasan group of the Islamic State terror group that operates in South Asia attempted a suicide attack in India last year but failed, the top American counter-terrorism official has told lawmakers.

In fact, of all the branches of the ISIS, the ISIS-Khorasan or the ISIS-K is the outfit that is of the most concern to the US, Russel Travers, Acting Director of the National Counterterrorism Center, Office of Director of National Intelligence, said on Tuesday.

“Of all of the branches and networks of ISIS, ISIS-K is certainly one of those of most concern, probably in the neighbourhood of 4,000 individuals or so,” Travers said in response to a question from Indian-origin Senator Maggie Hassan.

“They have attempted to certainly inspire attacks outside of Afghanistan. They attempted last year to conduct a suicide attack in India. It failed,” Travers said when Hassan asked about the ability of ISIS-K to carry out terrorist attacks in the region.

Travers did not provide further details of the failed suicide attack by the ISIS-K in India.

Hassan travelled to Afghanistan and Pakistan last month, during which she said she heard firsthand the concerns of the US military about the growing and very real threat of ISIS-K, the ISIS affiliate in Afghanistan.

“I heard clearly that ISIS-K threatens not only US forces in Afghanistan, but also has designs on striking the US homeland,” she said.

Last week, Travers had said that there were more than 20 ISIS branches globally, some of which are using sophisticated technology such as drones to conduct operations.

 

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

397 COVID-19 cases, four deaths in Karnataka

18 die when bus heading to wedding swept into river in Kenya

Cluster declaration if 3 cases are found: CM Bommai

Delhi airport sets up 20 counters for int’l flyers who have pre-booked Covid test to ease ‘chaos’

BCCI increases age limit for match officials, support staff to 65 years

India 332 runs ahead against New Zealand

Veteran journalist Vinod Dua no more


Related Articles More

Indian-American mathematician among three selected for inaugural Ciprian Foias Prize

Court mulls: Was Trump’s reply to rape claim part of job?

WHO says no Omicron deaths yet as variant spreads worldwide

Singapore says Omicron not more severe than other variants as of now

Court hears arguments in Trump rape accuser’s lawsuit

MUST WATCH

Traditional ‘Kambala’ Buffalo race at koorgi Hosamata

Udayavani News Bulletin 04-12-2021

HOW IS THE GOVERNMENT SUPPORTING THE FARMERS?

Leopard found in Bantwala

Former CM Siddaramiah Escort vehicle Accident at Chikkamagaluru


Latest Additions

397 COVID-19 cases, four deaths in Karnataka

18 die when bus heading to wedding swept into river in Kenya

Cong govt in Rajasthan has completely lost its credibility: BJP state chief

Chadha cruises to comfortable six-shot win

Cluster declaration if 3 cases are found: CM Bommai

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.