Joe Biden blacklists 28 more Chinese firms to investors, says White House


PTI, Jun 4, 2021, 9:36 AM IST

 

Washington: US President Joe Biden on Thursday expanded a blacklist of Chinese firms that are off-limits to American investors over their links to Beijing’s “military-industrial complex,” in a sign of Washington’s continued pressure campaign against China.

Former US president Donald Trump had prohibited Americans from buying stakes in 31 Chinese companies that were deemed to be supplying or supporting China’s military and security apparatus, and Biden’s move expands the blacklist to 59.

The latest batch of sanctions target companies involved in Chinese surveillance technology used to “facilitate repression or serious human rights abuses,” which “undermine the security or democratic values of the United States and our allies,” according to a White House statement.

The initial list published under Trump included major telecoms, construction and technology firms such as China Mobile, China Telecom, video surveillance firm Hikvision, and China Railway Construction Corp.

It was among a series of measures by the White House aimed at the Asian giant, which have left ties between the two countries severely strained.

Before the US order was released, Beijing repeated its outrage at the Trump-era blacklist Thursday and vowed to protect Chinese companies’ rights, claiming the blacklist was “politically motivated” and “ignores the facts and actual situation” of the firms involved.

The ban “severely undermines normal market rules and order” and “damages… the interests of global investors, including US investors,” foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said at a routine briefing.

Previously, the sanctions and choice of targets were tied to a congressionally mandated Defense Department report.

While the Biden administration has pledged to take a more diplomatic line with China following the upheaval of his predecessor, he has said he will keep to a strict line on several issues including defense and technology.

A tough line on China has rare cross-party support in Congress, with lawmakers determined to keep a lid on its growing global clout.

Republican senators Tom Cotton and Marco Rubio, alongside Democrats Gary Peters and Mark Kelly, published a bi-partisan letter earlier this week urging the administration to publish a new list.

“The US government must continue to act boldly in blocking the Chinese Communist Party’s economic predation against our industrial base,” they said.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Vaishno Devi online helicopter booking scam; Bengaluru-based techie cheated

Siddaramaiah slams Central govt’s decision to import areca nut from Bhutan

BRS has no plans to contest K’taka Assembly polls: Kumaraswamy

Karnataka govt to open ‘Namma Clinics’ in the state

Hindi trailer of Rishab Shetty-starrer ‘Kantara’ ready for release on Oct 9

India’s heaviest rocket to make global foray on October 22

SA score 249 for 4 against India in rain-curtailed first ODI


Related Articles More

UNHRC adopts resolution against Sri Lanka’s rights record; India abstains from voting

French writer Annie Ernaux awarded Nobel Prize in literature

California Sikh family’s murder: Sherrif says “special place in hell” for suspect

Thai police: More than 30 killed in childcare center attack

Pakistan issues nationwide alert amid heightened risk of terror attacks by TTP

MUST WATCH

Running Reace with Rahul Gandi and Siddaramiah

Uchila Dasara 2022 : Final Preparation for Precession

Bharath Judo : Rahul Gandhi Speach in Rain

Day 8 | Mahagauri

Sarapady Devadas Special Video.


Latest Additions

Vaishno Devi online helicopter booking scam; Bengaluru-based techie cheated

Run campaign to make UP roads pothole-free by Nov 15: Yogi to officials

Siddaramaiah slams Central govt’s decision to import areca nut from Bhutan

Punjab CM Mann seeks support of farmers for paddy stubble management to protect environment

Implement Justice Nagamohan Das Commission report to increase reservation for SCs, STs in Karnataka: Rahul Gandhi

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.