Srinivasa Ramanujan, Mozart of Mathematics
Shivani Kava, Dec 22, 2020, 10:43 AM IST
December 22 is celebrated as the National Mathematics Day throughout India to commemorate the birth anniversary of the Mathematical legend, Srinivasa Ramanujan Aiyangar.
Ramanujan who is known as the man who knew infinity had no formal training in pure mathematics. At just the age of 13, he had mastered trigonometry and discovered complex theorems on his own. Most of his mathematics discoveries were based on sheer intuition, most of which were proved later. A famous British Mathematician, GH Hardy mentored him at Cambridge.
Ramanujan had very few opportunities to showcase his talents as he died at the age of 32 after contracting Tuberculosis.
Lesser known facts about Ramanujan
- Ramanujan avoided attending school. His family enlisted a local constable to make sure he attended school.
- As a young man, he failed to get a degree, as he did not clear his fine arts courses, despite always performing exceptionally well in mathematics.
- Ramanujan gave several fascinating formulas to calculate the digits of pi. His infinite series for pi has been the most treasured findings which forms the basis of many algorithms we use today.
- His discovery of new ideas helped solve many mathematical problems and he even contributed to the game theory.
- 1729 is called Hardy-Ramanujam number in his honor, and such numbers are called Taxicab numbers.
- A movie was made on Ramanujan in 2015 starring Dev Patel.
Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.
Kumaraswamy accuses Amit Shah of ignoring Kannada
Indian economy may contract 25% in current fiscal: Economist Arun Kumar
IFFI apologises after mixing up Satyajit Ray’s ‘Sonar Kella’ plot with Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg’
Related Articles More
I have not asked for a ministerial position: Halady Srinivasa Shetty
Staff nurse Shobha, first to be vaccinated against Covid at Dr. TMA Pai hospital
Ravi Katapadi, the hope of the poorest children, won 12.5 lakhs at KBC | Udayavani
Signal surges ahead of Whatsapp amid privacy concerns
What do vaccine experts say about confusion over the covid vaccine?
Bantwal: Prostitution racket busted; accused detained
Shiv Sena to contest in West Bengal Assembly election says Raut
Uganda’s opposition rejects Museveni’s reelection as fraud
Govt must issue white paper on unavailability of funds demands Parameshwara
Tens of thousands evacuated amid Indonesia floods