Third temporary channel opens for vessels to Baltimore port after bridge collapse


PTI, Apr 21, 2024, 8:48 AM IST

A third temporary channel for boats to enter and depart the Port of Baltimore has opened, expanding further shipping access as collapsed sections of the Francis Scott Key Bridge are salvaged before the span can ultimately be rebuilt.

The alternate channel, located to the northeast of the fallen bridge, is open to “commercially essential vessels,” port officials announced late Friday. The new temporary path, with a controlling depth of 20 feet (6.1 meters), a horizontal clearance of 300 feet (91.4 meters) and a vertical clearance of 135 feet (41.2 meters), allows a greater variety of vessels to access the port while crews work to reopen the main channel, Coast Guard and port Capt. David O’Connell said in a news release.

With the new channel open, about 15% of pre-collapse commercial activity will resume, O’Connell said. The first temporary channel opened April 1. The bridge collapsed early March 26 after it was struck by the cargo ship Dali. Officials hope to open a channel by the end of the month to allow most maritime traffic back into one of the East Coast’s busiest maritime transit hubs.

Workers are labouring to remove thousands of tons of debris sitting atop the Dali, the cargo ship that veered off course and struck the 1.6-mile-long (2.57-kilometer-long) bridge. Six roadwork crew members on the bridge died. Two of their bodies have not been found.

With massive cranes, workers so far have taken away about 1,300 tons (1,179 metric tons) of steel. The debris on the stationary ship must be removed before the vessel can be returned to the port.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Gangster Chhota Rajan sentenced to life imprisonment for murder of Mumbai hotelier Jaya Shetty

God and meditation PM’s private affair, why should we interfere; asks D K Shivakumar

Udupi: BJP expels four office bearers for anti-party activities

Illegal money transfer case Minister B Nagendra will be summoned, says Shivakumar

Twenty one killed, 47 injured as bus falls into gorge in Jammu

IndiGo derosters 6 crew members in connection with Delhi-Varanasi flight bomb scare incident

Delhi CM Kejriwal faces health crisis amid ED custody

Related Articles More

A matter of honour and privilege: UN Military Gender Advocate of the Year Awardee Major Radhika Sen

Colombia’s Congress votes to ban bullfights, dealing a blow to the centuries old tradition

Melinda Gates pledges another $1 Billion for women’s rights

India and Japan commit to bolster health cooperation

Zelenskyy secures $1.2 Billion security pact with Spain

MUST WATCH

Shivamogga

Les Saveurs institute and cafe

Peacock rescued from well

Popular Guruprasad Restaurant

Haralukote Shri Anjaneya Swamy |Udayavani


Latest Additions

Gangster Chhota Rajan sentenced to life imprisonment for murder of Mumbai hotelier Jaya Shetty

Akhilesh Yadav mocks Modi’s meditation trip amid poll campaign

God and meditation PM’s private affair, why should we interfere; asks D K Shivakumar

Vice President Dhankhar visits Neem Karoli Baba Ashram

Udupi: BJP expels four office bearers for anti-party activities

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.