Two US troops killed by Afghan soldier in Nangarhar attack


Team Udayavani, Feb 9, 2020, 12:44 PM IST

Kabul: Two American troops were killed and six others wounded when an Afghan soldier armed with a machine gun opened fire, the US military confirmed Sunday.

The deaths come at a sensitive time in the 18-year-old war, with President Donald Trump eager to bring troops home and end the longest conflict in US history.

The incident occurred late Saturday in Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan when US and Afghan commandos were conducting a “key-leader engagement” at a base in Sherzad district.

“Current reports indicate an individual in an Afghan uniform opened fire on the combined US and Afghan force with a machine gun,” US Forces-Afghanistan spokesman Sonny Leggett said in a statement on Sunday.

Provincial governor Shah Mahmood Meyakhil said in an audio message to reporters that three Afghan commandos were wounded.

He said that it was not immediately clear if the incident was a deliberate act by an “infiltrator” or an accident.

“It was not a clash between the forces. We are investigating,” Meyakhil said.

Leggett also stressed the cause or motive behind the attack were not immediately known.

In a tweet, the US Army’s 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) said “several” of its soldiers had been killed or injured during combat operations in Afghanistan.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the incident.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid later declined to comment on the incident, saying in a message sent to AFP only that the insurgents were “investigating” the attack.

Last year was the deadliest for US forces in Afghanistan since combat operations officially finished at the end of 2014, highlighting the challenging security situation that persists.

Depending on how one qualifies combat deaths, about 20 American troops were killed in 2019. Since the US-led invasion in October 2001, about 2,400 US troops have been killed in combat in Afghanistan.

In December, Taliban infiltrators in the Afghan military killed nine Afghan soldiers in central Afghanistan.

In July, an Afghan soldier killed two US troops as they were visiting an Afghan army base in Kandahar. Such insider attacks are sometimes called “green-on-blue” incidents.

That came two weeks after another Afghan soldier shot and killed an influential Afghan army colonel while he was conducting a security assessment in Ghazni province.

US special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad has been negotiating with the Taliban for about 18 months for a deal that would see the Pentagon pull thousands of troops from Afghanistan.

In return, the Taliban would guarantee the country is not used as a jihadist safe haven. Many are skeptical of the proposed deal and Trump himself declared talks “dead” in September amid continued Taliban violence.

Negotiations have since resumed in Qatar.

Top News

Religious centres, public places that may attract large gatherings likely to remain under close watch

ASHA workers ‘manhandled’ during COVID-19 survey in Belagavi

A COVID-19 patient can infect 406 people in 30 days if preventive measures not in place: ICMR study

COVID-19: Govt mulling extending lockdown beyond April 14 after requests from states, experts

Congress’ K’taka unit opposes any proposal to cut govt employees’ salary

Crowd at Indira canteens missing after govt decision to charge for food: Siddaramaiah

Covid 19: State govt postpones mass marriage programme

Related Articles More

Former B’deshi army captain, convicted for assassinating Bangabandu, arrested

Indian-origin cardiac surgeon dies in UK from COVID-19

Covid-19: How are MENA countries dealing with the pandemic?

China says no new COVID-19 deaths for first time

How southern town in Spain turned their place as ‘fortress’ from COVID-19

MUST WATCH

COVID-19: Police at frontline get protective face shield

9 Baje 9 min: People light candles, diyas to honour India’s fight against COVID-19

Covid 19: Cong forms dist-level task committee force

Heart of Gold: Helping the needy get free guidance – Dr. Padmanabha Kamath

COVID-19: 5-year-old donates piggy bank for CMRF

Latest Additions

Religious centres, public places that may attract large gatherings likely to remain under close watch

‘Corona jihadis’ remark: MP Shobha Karnadlaje dares PFI to sue her

4 new COVID-19 cases in Kasaragod

Former B’deshi army captain, convicted for assassinating Bangabandu, arrested

ASHA workers ‘manhandled’ during COVID-19 survey in Belagavi